Thursday, September 15, 2011

TO SEE HIM SMILE AGAIN


Memories of Tita Arnie - her cremated ashes in an urn,
her beautiful picture,
and a framed copy of her favorite prayer.  

The past two months seemed like a hell on earth for my best guy buddy, Jeremy Laguda. His mom, 53 years old, succumbed to endometrial cancer. It was not easy for Jeremy since his mom died just five days after he happily celebrated his 21st birthday with her.  

Since after the cremation of his mom, I have been monitoring my buddy. Dark clouds of despair and desperation enveloped his once very happy life.  He changed. I am now having a hard time making him smile. My jokes won’t cut the invisible threads that are somewhat being sewn on his lips, preventing him to smile again. My usual ways of cheering him up every time he is down is now a big failure. He seemed really affected of the loss of his beloved mom. For almost a month now, I have been thinking of ways on how to at least help him hurdle over this roadblock in his life – to help him accept the fact that death is constant in this world and all we have to do is to grieve over the loss, accept the things that we cannot change or bring back, and move on with life. I really want to see him smile again.
Photo Credit: www.byahilo.com

Surfing the internet about smiles, I have jumped into an article that featured Bacolod City, the city of smiles in the Philippines. Cultivating my curiosity, I dug deeper trying to research why it's called the city of smiles. And this is what I’ve read:

“The moniker reflects the general disposition of the locals. In the 1980s, a period of tragedy and economic dislocation enveloped the city with gloom. During this period, the prices of sugar in the world market were at an all-time low and the Bacolenos were in a crisis as the province only relied in the sugar industry then. The depression was further aggravated when a passenger vessel Don Juan sank on Aprill 22, where an estimated 700 Negrenses including prominent families perished.

In the midst of these tragic events, the city’s artists, local government and civic groups decided to hold a festival of smiles, the MassKara Festival. They reasoned that a festival was also a good opportunity to pull the residents out of the pervasive gloomy atmosphere. The initial festival was therefore, a declaration by the people of the city that no matter how tough and bad the times were, Bacolod City is going to pull through, survive, and in the end, triumph.”

Source: http://www.themasskarafestival.com/about-masskara/why-masskara/

Jeremy and I during my college graduation.

BINGO! I told myself “This is the perfect place to bring my best buddy! And the MASSKARA festival is the perfect festival to help him forget the worries of life and just enjoy experiencing the festival.” I really want to make him smile again. I want to bring him with me to Bacolod City for an adventure of a lifetime.  To explore a city that would welcome us with sincere warmth and experience a festival that excites our senses. SEE the warm smiles of the locals of Bacolod City. HEAR the festive sounds of the rolling drums during the Masskara Festival. FEEL the non-stop energy of its dancers. TASTE delicious delicacies in a dazzling dining scene. And just BREATHE easy and smile and laugh all day.

Life is short. And I just don't want time to pass without me helping my best guy buddy get back to his old happy self and appreciate the beauty of life. I am now very excited to see him smile again at the MassKara Festival in Bacolod City this October. Thank you in advance, AirPhil Express! =)

Experience MassKara Festival, Hermosa Festival and Lanzones Festival this October. Airphil Express flies daily to BACOLOD, ZAMBOANGA and CAGAYAN DE ORO from Cebu and Manila. Visit www.airphilexpress.com to book!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

VJ Ruado wants to hear from you! If you want to suggest a topic, ask an advice, or just comment on my blog posts, just press the comment/s (PRESS HERE TO COMMENT) icon below. Please don't forget to include your name so I can address you properly in my next post's acknowledgment. Keep reading! Thank you very much.

11 comments:

  1. Congrats dude! May 2 RT tickets na ikaw. sino isasama mo? :p

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Renevic. To God be the glory. I really did not expect to win. This is a surprise blessing from God. Sino isasama ko? Of course, si Jeremy, my best guy friend. Renevic, saludo ako sayo. You're a good writer ha. Chineck ko blog mo ngayon lang. =) Nice meeting you, co-blogger. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there, Chino. Maraming Salamat kay God, talaga. I've read your entry just now. Grabe, galing nyong sumulat. Keep writing. From now on, magbabasa na ako ng blog nyo ni Renevic. Turuan nyo naman po ako magdesign ng blogs. Matagal na rin ako nagbloblog pero basic lang alam ko sa blog designs. =) Salamat sa pag-basa ng blog post ko. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! I read all the entries of the bloggers who won this contest. Your friend will surely be happy with this treat.

    Now, I have come to know why they branded Bacolod city as city of smiles. Thanks for the info and enjoy your trip! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Mr. Roman Leo Reyman. Wow! It is an honor to receive comments from writers who maintain travel blogs. I've read your blog and wow... grabe! I salute you sa passion mong magsulat at magtake ng pictures. Ang galing talaga.

    I just told my buddy about it yesterday, so he was really surprised! I didn't expect to win so di ko muna sinabi sa kanya when I submitted my entry. I just told him to help me pray for it and that if I win, I'm gonna share with him the prize. hehe Basta objective ko lang nung sinulat ko to, ay mapasaya ulit buddy ko.

    I really hope to meet you personally one day and talk about blogs and some travel tips. Thanks again for reading my entry. Again, it is such an honor.

    ReplyDelete
  6. congratulations!

    im now here in bacolod for the masskara festival rehearsals.. just message me if tuloy kayo, ill let you in at our dress rehearsals :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Mr. Eric.

    Salamat kay Lord and thank you din sa pagbati.

    Wow, so you're one of those who will participate? Sige sige. I will leave a message. My buddy and I are still fixing our skeds sa work and with AirPhil. 15-17 po ba yung mismong highlight ng festival?

    ReplyDelete
  8. electric masskara is on October 14-15 thats the evening version.

    the original masskara streetdance is Oct15-16. our group (last years first runner up, yun yung photo ginamit ng airphil express) will be the last performer this year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Eric.

    Jeremy and I are going there this October 14-17. I really hope to see you and your friends dance. And I hope we can take pictures with you on your costumes. =) God bless and I hope you guys win.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks to Airphil! I'm sure you and Jeremy had loads of fun in Bacolod!!! ^______^

    ReplyDelete